For the 2018 Season (May to September)
Located in the Khutzeymateen Grizzly Bear Sanctuary on the north coast of British Columbia, the remote Khutzeymateen Wilderness Lodge provides grizzly bear and whale viewing in a natural and unspoiled wilderness.
Accessed only by float plane or boat, our facilities are charmingly rustic – the lodge has 6 guest bedrooms, 4 staff bedrooms, two shared washrooms with showers, a sauna and open living and dining rooms. The lodge also has a barbeque, an outdoor fire pit and lots of room to move and stretch out. Guests and staff eat together at dining tables made from local red cedar. Photos of the lodge can be viewed here.
The Head Chef position is seasonal, from the beginning of May to mid-September 2018, with the possibility of returning in 2019 and beyond. The successful applicant must be comfortable living and working in a remote location – the days are long and we all live and work in close quarters on a floating lodge. Accommodations (each staff member has a private room) and meals are provided as part of the compensation package.
The Head Chef is responsible for:
- Menu planning and preparing 3 meals per day plus appetizers and snacks for guests and staff (10-16 people). All of our meals are prepared from scratch using fresh and healthy ingredients. The successful applicant will have a passion for using local, organic ingredients. We have freshly caught salmon, halibut, crab and prawns so the Head Chef must be skilled in inventive ways of cooking seafood.
- Preparing meals with specific dietary restrictions, including vegetarian, vegan and gluten free.
- Maintaining a spotless kitchen and managing the correct storage of food, as per Food Safe standards.
- Managing and placing food orders within a set budget.
- Diploma from a recognised culinary school or equivalent proven work experience (minimum 3 years). Red Seal is an asset.
- BC Food Safe certificate (or recognized equivalent).
- Experience working in remote locations.
- Outstanding interpersonal and verbal communication skills.
- A positive attitude.
The successful applicant will be professional, friendly, outgoing, clean and organized with outstanding time management skills. You must be comfortable working in an open kitchen environment with continuous guest interactions and be calm under pressure. Attention to detail, outstanding food presentation skills and the ability to go with the flow is a must.
KHUTZEYMATEEN WILDERNESS LODGE COMMITMENT:
- Fair and competitive wages (plus tips) to industry standard based on experience and certifications.
- A safe and healthy work environment.
- Opportunity to participate in grizzly bear viewing tours as space and time allows.
- Access to sea kayaks and stand up paddle boards.
The successful applicant must be able to get themselves to Prince Rupert, BC in early May 2018 and home from Prince Rupert in mid-September 2018.
Please submit a resume and cover letter outlining your skills, qualifications and relevant experience to email@example.com with ‘Head Chef Application’ in the subject line by January 31, 2018.